Indie Fest, JULY 29TH + 4 HONEST PERFORMER REVIEWS!

Indie Fest is a festival that is happening in Detroit on July 29th! It's really only a couple of weeks 
away!




There are A TON of acts on this bill. This morning I took some time to listen to some of the acts we will be playing with. I didn't get through all of them, but here are some links and my impressions of them!

BAVE-- When I clicked the first song, the drums immediately caught my attention! Drummer David Thoel plays extremely fast with a lot of prescision. BAVE is a progressive rock duo based in Detroit. They describe their music as anxiety ridden, I get the metaphor, I hear a lot of tension in the music. I have the impression that this group is strictly instrumental. Ben Zaporski is no slouch on guitar either. He uses more chords in one song than I can manage in an entire set list!

Meat Fever-- by BAVE


Brother Son--- This band has a vintage vibe on the guitars, with lyrics that are sweetly sung over them. Their song Magical, has a really lush use of what sort of sounds like a Fender Rhodes, or some type of xylophone. The album was recorded by Zach Shipps at RV Audio Lab. I remember Zach from when he recorded my old band, the Ill Itches. Brother Son sounds like a quality act, I am surprised this is the first time I have ever heard of them. It's probably because their EP Young and Pretty has only been out for about 3 months.

Cabin 7---- This is an all out punk/ska band from Ferndale with your standard rock rhythm section augmented by bari sax, trombone, and trumpet! Their sound cloud recordings are about a year old, and I consider them to be demos, but they showcase a nice horn section! I would suggest they should head to Zach Shipps place for their next release. He did a great job, for a really cheap price the last time I worked with him. I also think the vocalist needs to work on his pitch. Yes I know, who am I to judge? Someone that has failed 10 times more than most people have ever tried! I wont be surprised if this group blows Pete and I off the stage live. My point is that Cabin 7 is worthy of better recordings. I wouldn't be writing about them if I didn't think they had merit, although I may be critical at times. I think Scotts Revenge is the best track in my opinion. Redo those lead vocals, ASAP! Also, those horns are pitchy too!

The Invincible Man--- his band sounds like early 60's soul, reminding me a lot of Mayer Hawthorne, and some James Taylor when he chooses the acoustic! The Invincible Man is no slouch on that guitar! It sounds like he has a strong background in music. I believe his real name may be Noah Kirrkamm. He uses a lot of jazzy voicings on the six string, and accomplishes a lot of tasteful acoustic riffing. Also, I haven't heard any sour vocal notes from him yet. I consider this guy to be a high quality act--- his songs and singing oozes sincerity and reflectiveness. Here is a link to one of his releases: Any Chance E. P.

Well, Pete and I will be packing up pretty soon for our gig in Dryden. Its going to be another 24 hour lockdown with Pete. I hope we don't drive eachother crazy! Remember, INDIE FEST 2017 is happening JULY 29TH @ THE RALSTON/STONE HOUSE West State Fairgrounds!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My voice is being silenced by the liberal media

That time I bought a Guitar for $1 at Guitar Center