My Review of Stephen King's Novel--- Revival-- A guitar players horror story!!

Stephen King has always been a sure bet on my reading radar! I also enjoy many film and television adaptations of his work. When I recently found this 2014 book in the bargain book section, I decided it was worth the 7.00 for the hardcover edition.

Revival follows the life of a rock guitarist growing up in the 60's, to his coming of age in the 1980's, and his life in current times. The plot is centered around his lifelong relationship with a disgraced preacher from his childhood home in New England. The preacher is excommunicated from his congregation, following a sermon where he blasphemes the name of God due to his bitterness from a tragic loss in his life. (I am trying not to give too much away!)

The preacher ends up devoting his life to a modern form of alchemy, and learns to summon massive amounts of energy through electronic experiments that have the ability to cure many diseases. What is the catch? You will find out once reading the book, but I can tell you this novel deals with themes concerning inter-dimensional beings and power.

I will also tell you this book has many Stephen King trademarks, the romanticizing of youth, classic cars, "oldie" music, and the occasional sex scene. Stephen King often romanticizes the main character's relationship with his guitar. I found some aspects of this romanticism cheesy, yet delightfully predictable! I consider this to be Mr. King's "Guitar player" novel.

I also feel compelled to mention the heavy H.P. Lovecraft influence in this work. The book begin's with the famous Lovecraft quote:

That is not dead can eternal lie, And with strange aeons, even death may die.

This quote often confuses me. I am not sure what it means, but I think I have a better idea after reading the book. It can be a challenge to finish a book these days, but I got through this one in a few rigorous reading sessions during a recent internet strike. It was late at night when I read the last page. I actually did get a little scared. Thank God I have Moondog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My voice is being silenced by the liberal media

That time I bought a Guitar for $1 at Guitar Center