My take on this weeks news

Hello people,

This week I found out that Prince died. I was is disbelief for a while. It was a bummer. Everyone else has said something eloquent, so I don't feel the need to. Most people that know me very well know me from the past as someone who really idolized prince, especially as a child. I attempted to imitate the way he was able to go into the studio, play every instrument, and produce all of his own music. He was definitely my hero for much of my life.

I also lost someone who was a really good friend a couple months ago. He was a huge fan of Prince, and had given me a ton of Princes early bootleg recordings. My friend was also a multi instrumentalist that spent hours practicing to get better and had such a high standard for quality. He wasn't merely an attention seeker. He was only 27.

So although this news of Prince dying is bad, it is no where near as tragic as my friend passing away at such a young age. I feel a little better knowing that my friend is in good company. Maybe they are in heaven. Prince's passing somehow makes me feel better about my friend too.

My friend and I were very similar in terms of taste in music. We hated most of what we heard on the radio and what our friends were listening to, but we always glorified two musicians: Prince and Jimi Hendrix. I am not saying we weren't critical of Prince, we both agreed that he stopped making good music in the 90's, but we recognized him as such a talent we would compare what we were able to do with what he was able to do, and wonder how in the hell he was able to create such a perfect recording (back in the late 70s and early 80s with limited technology--and Prince was barely out of his teens).

Prince also represents to me the last of a breed of musicians who got to where they are because of raw talent. He was a myth and legend. Nowadays, who you are married to, and how much money you have really determines how much success you have in the music business. People care more about using music as a means of drawing attention to themselves than it is as a meditative art. I have been guilty of that as well, but we learn it from the "successful" people we see on tv and get to earn a living from show business.

Long live the ideals of musical perfection Prince and my friend possessed!

I intend on updating this blog more in the future. Please don't judge me by posts that are from 4 years ago! This is my first blog in 4 years, coinciding with when I re-entered the work force after my glorious days of being unemployed in my early 20s.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My voice is being silenced by the liberal media

That time I bought a Guitar for $1 at Guitar Center